On every vacation, I always try to save as much as possible especially on the admission ticket to museums, local attractions, and theme parks. I tried to do my diligence before each vacation.
Here are some options to get into the museum for free or at least at discount rate.
- If you have Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit card, every first full weekend of every month you can get one free admission to their the participating museum, just show their credit or debit card and a picture ID. Click here for the complete list of their partners. Usually, kids get in free with your free admission tickets but I guess it depends on the museum. (You can ask the bank to issue extra cards with your kids’ and spouse name on it)
- Do you know if you are a member of one museum you might entitle to get into their reciprocity for free or at a discount rate. For example, we’re a family member of Museum of Science and Industry Chicago and since MSI belongs to ASTC, a global organization of science centers and museums, we’re allowed to visit museums across the U.S. and around the world for free or discounted admission.
- Watch for the state free museum days. Check the museum website.
- Reserve a free passes from your public library. Some of the public libraries give Library cardholders access to free passes for local museums and attractions.
- Go for Museum Day. Museum Day is an annual celebration hosted by Smithsonian magazine. Participating museums and cultural institutions across the country provide free entry to anyone presenting a Museum Day ticket.Click Get a Ticket to search participating museums and download your ticket.
- Search local attraction deal on Groupon. (Signup for here and they usually send you a notification when they have a flash sale. The biggest discount I saw so far is from T-mobile Tuesday 30% off, the normal discount usually 25-10% off)
- If you are an active duty military, you and your family can get free admission all summer long at participation museums around the country.
- Or you might want to consider CityPass or GoCityCard